Small Kitchen Ideas
Let’s face it, not all of us have a large kitchen that we are remodeling. Some of us have smaller homes and smaller kitchens. Others live in apartments and have very limited space within their kitchen. If you are one of those people that have a smaller kitchen, pay close attention to the tips mentioned below in order to make the most of your limited space.
Working with smaller kitchens can be quite the challenge. If the option is available, consider creating more space within your kitchen. Before doing so make sure you check your budget and check your local building codes for any restrictions. If for some reason you can not change the amount of space within your kitchen, there are still other ways to make this space look and feel larger than it really is.
One way to enhance a smaller kitchen is to invest in new appliances. New appliances can serve to update and unify a room, especially if you are investing in energy efficient appliances. It is important to look for energy efficiency when purchasing home appliances because you could be wasting a lot of money each month is wasted energy. Generally, it is cost-effective to purchase household appliances with high efficiencies. Furthermore, to reduce a cluttered kitchen, consider installing built-in ovens, microwaves and storage for small appliances. Wine refrigerators are also useful in small kitchens for times when you are entertaining friends and family.
A second way to enhance a small kitchen is to add more countertop space, if possible. It is difficult to work in a kitchen if there isn't enough counter space. Evaluate your current kitchen setup and plan to cover as much of the area not occupied with appliances with countertops. If there is no extra space to add a countertop to, consider making your current countertops deeper to create more working space.
Remodeling Smaller Kitchens
When remodeling your smaller kitchen, take into account how you use your kitchen. For example, if you use your kitchen frequently, you may want to combine different types of countertops to accommodate to a better cooking environment. Marble and granite provide cool surfaces for managing dough while the butcher block offers a great surface to chop and prepare food. It's becoming increasingly popular to combine counter options to gain a more functional kitchen with a unique look.
Adequate storage is extremely important for smaller kitchens. The more cluttered a small kitchen becomes, the smaller a small kitchen becomes. Try to fit as many cabinets into your design as possible. Also, try aligning the proper cabinets with the appropriate appliances. Fro example, your deep cabinets that hold plates should be located above your dishwasher. The idea to minimize the amount of steps needed to complete a single task within your kitchen. The space will feel larger if you are making smoother transactions. Additional storage ideas include roll-out pantries, waist-high sliding shelves and built-in storage for foods like potatoes and onions.
Additional Ideas To Increase The Efficiency Of Your Kitchen
- Consider adding new lighting to your kitchen. Under-counter lighting and clean halogen lights can make your kitchen appear larger and more comfortable.
- If there is enough room on the back of your cabinets, consider putting a wire basket there to hold trash bags and other frequently used items. You can purchases these products at the store for an affordable price and easily install them on the back of the cabinet door or under the sink.
- If you do not have enough room to install a roll-out pantry, consider turning a near-by closet into a space to hold plates and other kitchen storage items.
Smaller kitchen can greatly benefit from a large sink. A large sink allows you to easily clean large pots and pans and stash dirty pots before you have a chance to rinse them off.
- Consider mounting an instant hot water heater on your sink. Generally, this device will replace the sprayer or soap. If you are someone that highly enjoys a cup of tea or instant coffee in the morning, you will enjoy this device a lot.
- Backsplashes greatly improve the look and feel of a kitchen. Consider installing a tile back splash on all the walls above the counters, sink and stove. Not only will the appearance of your kitchen improve, but it will also be easier to clean.
- Accessorize! Consider investing some money into new cabinet and drawer knobs. This is a very simple and affordable option that will give the kitchen an updated look. Be creative and take your time to look through the virtually endless designs.
Looking For More Information About Kitchen Remodeling?
Kitchen remodeling can be an excellent way to add value to your home. You'll want to make sure you are choosing the right kitchen remodel for your home and your budget. We offer Free Kitchen Remodeling Quotes from local, prescreened contractors.
Kitchen Remodeling Costs
October 26, 2010
How to Remodel Your Kitchen on a Shoestring
October 22, 2010
Kitchen Remodeling Without Breaking the Bank
October 20, 2010
Kitchen Remodeling: Four Reasons to Hire a Pro
October 19, 2010
How to Avoid Being Scammed on Kitchen Remodeling Projects
October 13, 2010
Kitchen Remodeling Projects for Good Times and Bad
Professional Kitchen Design
Design assistance can be found from multiple sources. It is important that you research designs from several sources in order to make sure you have found the design that is perfect for your kitchen. Each resource has its pros and cons and no one option is right for everyone. Take the time to discover and investigate all the different sources before making your final decision...
▪ read entire article
Kitchen Work Triangle
Let’s face it; the kitchen happens to be the most used room in the house, mainly because it is the center of food and drinks. When guests are over visiting your house, they are instantly attracted to the room with the food and drinks. Before the guests arrive, you are in the kitchen preparing the food and drinks. Due the fact that so much activity takes places in the kitchen, a special design called the...
▪ read entire article
The kitchen is no longer a room simply designated for preparing food and eating, but rather a commonly occupied room used for gathering, dinning, office work, and much more. Is your kitchen designed to accommodate to all of the daily traffic it receives? Updating your kitchen could be the greatest thing in the...
▪ read entire article
Are you a licensed and insured kitchen remodeling contractor?
With our service you can reach homeowners nationwide.
Click here to learn more!